During the week we went to West Bend, Iowa to see the Grotto of the Redemption to see the Witness -A Miracle in Stone. It is a composit of nine separate Grottoes each portraying a scene in the life of Christ. It is the largest Grotto in the world. It represents a vast collection of minerals an
The Grotto of the Redemption is the inspiration and life work of Fr. Paul Dobberstein, a Catholic Priest. For a decade he gathered rocks and precious stones from around the world, then began construction in 1912. For the next 42 years, he created hundreds of intricate rock settings that form the Grotto's walls and ceilings, evoking a spiritual experience.
Can you imagine working on one project for 42 years of your life. This was truly a work of the love of Christ. We had a volunteer guide, but you could also just go on a walking tour by yourself. Our guide was very knowledgeable and really helped to explain the different Grottoes.
Oh yes, it poured that day and we got to the car just in time. There is a beautiful Church, but I was getting very tired and we decided to go home. I think that I will see that the next time.
Bob and I at the Grotto.
Some pictures I took at the Grotto. If you ever get to Iowa, please be sure to see this, as it is so very beautiful and my words and pictures do not do it justice.
No comments:
Post a Comment